Award-winning business journalist with a media and corporate communications background.
romero (dot) christine (at) gmail (dot) com
Award-winning business journalist with a media and corporate communications background. Specialties in writing, editing, content management, social media, public affairs, marketing, and nonprofit advocacy. Expertise in the execution of all aspects of public outreach campaigns to increase exposure and boost community awareness, while also averting and reacting to crises. Driven to achieve results with creative and resourceful solutions. Forward-thinking public relations work and sharp communication plans with an eye toward supporting strategic initiatives. Narrative storytelling abilities that are focused on conveying a larger message.
- Strategic Public Relations, Media Campaigns, and Communication Plans
- Web, Print, and Social Content Development
- Social Media Savvy
- Messaging, Positioning, and Branding
- Community, Civic, and Media Relationship Development
- Analytical, Research-Focused Approach
- Crisis Management
- Creative and Thoughtful Team Leadership
- Speech Writing and Media Interview Expertise
Matthew Shepard Foundation – April 2013-Present, Denver, Colo.
- Editor-in-chief for a youth-focused site aimed at helping young people make healthy life choices. Worked with over a dozen freelance youth writers to research, develop, and maintain active web presence for the nonprofit organization. Maintained editorial vision while creating engaging content. During my tenure, the site grew over 500% with traffic and content offering rapidly expanded to increase site’s appeal and diversity for its users, who also grew by nearly 450%.
- Grew social media for youth-driven efforts across numerous social mediums, including Facebook, Twitter, Medium, and Tumblr, and assisted in management of Foundation’s overall social media presence (+159K fans).
- Conducted research and consumer insights for Foundation’s youth brand. Worked with vendors to keep projects under budget and on schedule. Conducted RFPs for outside vendor work and headed vetting process.
- Contributed to Foundation’s newsletters and online presence, while supporting other programs to optimize budgets and efforts.
- Active in the development of a long-term strategic plan for the organization.
CitiesPlanet LLC/Scottsdale.com – March 2011-April 2013, Phoenix, Ariz./Denver, Colo.
Director of Marketing
- Content management and SEO writing for more than 75 websites.
- Researched and developed content for newly created sites, including those for Osaka, Japan, the French Riviera and dozens more. Monthly and weekly site maintenance for site owners. Created custom content for special advertisers.
- Managed freelancers and two staff writers. Edited copy from these writers. Oversaw projects to keep them under budget and on deadline.
- For new websites, engaged in background research to determine appropriate direction for future sites, including logo ideas, website content direction and local research.
- Managed social media efforts for more than 75 websites.
- Ongoing special projects including database coding and online content management using several CMS editing systems.
Freelance – Ongoing
Various freelance writing projects including articles and press releases for several clients nationwide. Other projects include several feature articles in Hispanic Living Magazine, published by Gannett/USA Today.
Macerich – July 2006-February 2011, Phoenix, Ariz.
Public Relations Manager
- Public relations, communications, and social media efforts for a publicly traded company and one of the nation’s largest real estate investment trusts with more than 70 shopping malls and large-scale retail properties totaling 74 million square feet nationwide.
- From farmland to fashion, captained public relations strategy and efforts for several newly built malls. Created and executed strategy to promote centers, events, and new stores through traditional and social media.
- Daily crisis communications for more than 70 shopping centers including violence, protests, and vacancies. Efforts included key messaging, web copy, communication strategies, and all other internal/external materials.
- Champion of launching social media efforts for company’s malls and developed the corporate standards for our presence. Involved daily in social media crisis communications.
- Special projects for the executive team including writing and editing of white papers, marketing presentations for leasing/sales, and many other materials used to prepare executives for analysts, government staffers, and elected officials.
The Arizona Republic – July 2001-July 2006, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Retail, workplace and general assignment coverage, including economic trends, personal finance, growth, and
- Established a new economic-development beat, which covered the fastest growing area in the Phoenix-metro area.
- Helped launch several key weekly features in a redesign of the business section. These included a weekly magazine-length feature, major economic development centerpieces, and coverage of business-related legislative issues. Extremely productive byline count.
The Daily Camera – May 1997-July 2001, Boulder, Colo.
Senior Business Reporter
- Launched new areas of business coverage with significant impact on the regional economy – athletic and natural-products industries.
- Managed several key beats, including bio-technology and high-tech, with a highly productive amount of copy generated
- Wrote a weekly consumer-driven column focused on the athletic-products market. Assisted in editing duties.
The Daily Camera
Knight-Ridder Intern November 1996-May 1997, Boulder, Colo.
- Wrote magazine-length feature and trend stories and copy desk experience.
University of Colorado 1993-1997, Boulder, Colo.
B.S., Journalism and Mass Communication.
Recent Relevant Professional Education
- Macerich Mentorship Program, in-depth, weekly development learning on real estate, finance, leasing and alternative revenue generation.
- International Association of Business Communicators, business writing seminar about corporate earnings,
annual reports, key messaging, speech writing and crisis communication.
- National Institute of Computer-Assisted Reporting, searching public documents seminar.
- Investigative Reporters & Editors, computer-assisted reporting seminar.